Google Analytics

Sunday 1 October 2023

We Know Where You’re From

New Month Old Post (revised): first posted 10th March 2019.

The British-Irish Dialect Quiz

Not such an old post, but most followers came after this date. Recent discussion of accents and language on this and other blogs reminded me of it. Yorkshire Pudding wrote about it around the same time. The results show me to be more East Yorkshire than he is.  

I can no longer access the quiz directly without hitting the New York Times paywall, but if I search for “The British-Irish Dialect Quiz” and go in from Google or Bing then it works. There is also an American version, “The U.S. Dialect Quiz”, but that always hits the paywall however I try to enter. 

Growing up in a unicultural Yorkshire town (as they nearly all were in the nineteen-fifties), I’m not sure when I first realised there were variations in the way people spoke. I remember a boy climbing around on Filey Brigg with a hammer who said he was “Luckin’ fer forwssls”, and the pen-friends from Bingley, organized by one of the teachers at junior school, who, when we met them, sounded different and used strange words. To my childhood eyes, they even looked different. Goodness, even people from across the river looked and spoke differently, even though they lived only a few miles away.  

Later, meeting different people and living around the country, accents fascinated me. I love hearing Buchan Scots and Yorkshire Asian, and used to have great fun winding-up my South London mother-in-law.  She could give as good as she got.

So, when I heard about the British-Irish Dialect Quiz, it was irresistible. I was bound to try it out and join the thousands of other bloggers writing about it.

It asks 25 questions about how you pronounce various words, such as “scone” or “last”, and what words you use for certain things, such as for feeling cold or for the playground game in which one child chases the rest and the first person touched becomes the pursuer. It then gives you a map of Great Britain with your area of origin shaded in. If you want, you can continue with a further 71 questions to refine the results further.

It got me pretty much spot-on. Words like “breadcake” and “twagging”, and the way I say ‘a’ and ‘u’, give me away most.

The explanation of the results is interesting too. It mentions that in Britain and Ireland, unlike North America, local dialect sometimes changed wildly within ten or twenty miles. Village-by-village distinctions have now eroded, but the article suggests there is no evidence that regional differences are disappearing, even in the face of technological influences. I find that reassuring.

My wife’s results were interesting. She answered the questions twice, once using her words and speech growing up in Hertfordshire, and then again how she is now. It got her pretty much right on both counts. Living in the north and working as an occupational therapist, she soon realised it did not go down well to go into peoples’ homes and ask how well they could manage in the “baarthrums”.  

28 comments:

  1. I grew up in Southern Illinois, USA. Upon traveling to MIchigan to meet my future in-laws, my accent was discussed in detail. I didn't know I even HAD an accent. But washing in Michigan was warshing in my hometown, likewise, dashboard became daishboard, and roof was ruuf. I was painfully aware my accent was not regarded as a plus in my character, and tried really hard to correct it, until I moved to Georgia for two years with my military husband. THAT set me back further than I had been before. It seems if I did not speak the language of my in-laws, then gentle rebukes and corrections were sent my way. We won't even talk about how I held my knife and fork while eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there used to be a lot of subconsious (or even conscious) discrinination in the U.K. but now it is more aimed at the strenth of accents rather than their nature. Some strong accents are unintelligible to many. What you describe is tantamount to bullying.
      Thank you for dropping by and reading. Are you able to access the U.S. quiz from your location without hitting the paywall?

      Delete
    2. The New York Times requires me to have a subscription which I choose to decline.

      Delete
  2. Accents and dialect are endlessly fascinating. Coming from the soft south, I speak 'far back', apparently. Going to college in Lincolnshire I came into contact with many rich accents. It's not just USA and GB that are separated by a common language. Long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree we have a lot of fun and take deep pleasure from our differences. Colleges and universities tent to iron them out, but our children now seem happy with their "educated Yorkshire". I imagine in Linconshire you would have come across many northern accents.

      Delete
  3. I, too, am fascinated with accents, vocab changes and dialects. I think I took both those quizzes when they came out in the NYT. I just took the British one again trying to remember all the words used when I was a child in 70s and 80s. The results were that I speak as if I hailed from Scotland. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scottish! You were one of the few that commented on my original post in 2019.

      Delete
  4. I tried every possible link in Google, all lead straight to the nyt pay wall. I would have liked to do this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that it allows some in for free but not everyone. I don't know why.

      Delete
  5. I was born and raised in NE Ohio. I once met a woman who told me she was a linguist and before the end of the day was sure she could pinpoint my neighborhood. She was not from around here and I doubted her claim. Nevertheless, she did it. She also told me what words and sounds led her to her conclusion. Sadly, it's been so long I don't remember them. I do remember she thanked me for the "giveaway" to my hometown. In Akron, Ohio we call tree lawns "devil strips".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a linguist on tv here, a university professor, who was amazing at that kind of thing. Not only could be tell where people were from, he could also do all the different pronunciation, including how William Shakespeare and the Anglo Saxons would have spoken.

      Delete
  6. I know that how I speak English was strongly influenced by my husband, who was born in Wath-upon-Dearne; I don‘t really sound German when I speak English, and my Italian was very obviously learned mostly from Sicilians. My German is very Swabian, but I can speak very “pure” German if I need to. And my Swabian dialect is very different from that of inner Stuttgart, or further south - any distance from Ludwigsburg makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it reassuring that localised accents and dialects occur in many different languages. An they say here, it would be boring if we were all the same.

      Delete
  7. When I lived in Newcastle I could pinpoint streets where people lived by their accent. I have always been interested in accents and have a good ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a good ear to be able to pick out differences in areas other than where you grew up. I still find it hard to tell East from West Scotland, even though I lived up there for several years.

      Delete
  8. I took the quiz and it said I came from the Carlisle, Douglas, Manchester area. It was right with the last one. Very Professor Higgins- My Fair Lady like findings and very interesting Tasker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I took it as well, though having elocution lessons as a child obviously did not help. But it missed that I had been brought up in the Midlands, and gave me a West Country dominance. Did Bath/Baaath skew the results?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. I think it is based more on the words we use. Some of my father's uses don't seem to me in, such as "starved" meaning cold.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for that. Confirms I was born in North Yorkshire and live in Co Durham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet we would all be able to spot that general area.

      Delete
  11. I did the quiz and my map is almost identical to yours! The village where I was born and raised is in the heart of the maroon section. If you and I ever meet up we will not need a translator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not easy to wind up. I was careful to say I am more East Yorkshire than you, rather than East Riding. But on the map you posted 4 years ago you have a great big South Yorkshire tongue hanging out.

      Delete
  12. We got lots of UK TV in NZ, loads of UK immigrants and many people in our deep south who till have Scots intonation in their speech. When I came to UK I lived in Southampton, and one day had a conversation at a bus stop with a chap who was clearly Glaswegian. After he climbed onto his bus the (New Forest) woman sitting next to us asked if I had understood a word of that? I couldn't help wondering how she imagined I answered him if I hadn't. I suspect some people of not trying to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On UK tv they often put sub-titles on strong accents, especially Glaswegian. We find it hilarious when feel the need to put them over Yorkshire accents.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.