Google Analytics

Wednesday 1 May 2024

Paul McCartney’s RAM

New Month Old Post: first posted 7th November 2018

We can be very dismissive when young, especially about music. 

When Paul McCartney’s long playing record Ram came out in 1971, a lot of people hated it. They were irritated by the embarrassing sight and sound of Linda McCartney and her wooden, astringent vocals. Why was she on the record anyway: as if it were a primary school class where everyone has to join in banging tambourines and triangles, even the talentless? Why was she accredited fully as co-creator, which no one really believed?

I simply dismissed it. It was not The Beatles. I was fed up with it emanating from Brendan’s room in the shared house. After all, didn’t I have more sophisticated tastes? Didn’t I think of myself as a knowledgeable connoisseur of serious music like progressive rock, particularly Jethro Tull who had just released Aqualung? How could the McCartneys’ frivolous, inconsequential warbling possibly compare?

The only legacy, for me, was that to this day, whenever we drive past a certain cut-price supermarket I sing the following mondegreen:
Lidl Lidl be a gypsy get around
Get your feet up off the ground
Lidl Lidl get around.
I recently looked up the lyrics to discover that the actual words are “Live a little” from the track Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey who “had to have a bath or he couldn’t get to sea” – another misheard lyric, it’s “berth”.

One thing led to another and I ended up getting the CD as a birthday present (I don’t do streaming). What a revelation! Judging it inferior to Jethro Tull was being Thick as a Brick.

I now think Ram is amongst Paul McCartney’s best and most innovative output: so rich in ideas – melodies, harmonies, arrangements, decorations, quirky bits – almost every part of every track is different. It‘s an amusing, joyful record, a bit late-Beatles, like the brightest parts of Abbey Road and The White Album.

It has been described as a “domestic-bliss album”. Despite personal and contractual pains in disentangling himself from the Beatles, Paul was now living a contented and enviable life, very happy with Linda and children in their rural retreat. You hear it throughout. And Linda’s voice is just about OK too, or at least you get used to it. 

Maybe I liked Ram all along but did not want to admit it.

27 comments:

  1. It's no classic like Mull Of Kintyre is it? Nice video though. I also prefer Prog rock Tasker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always thought Mull of Kintyre was a bit of a dirge.

      Delete
  2. Well, I dug out my Bluetooth enabled hearing aids so that I could listen to that clip. I rather wish I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that sounded rude. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

      Delete
    2. It's very bright and cheerful music!

      Delete
  3. I thought it was a happy family video and the music wasn't bad. Listening to McCartneys 'Seize the Day' this morning, again pleasant and lighthearted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been a happy time in his life: a lovely family, pots of money and time to do whatever you wanted.

      Delete
  4. I have not listened to "Ram" but as the years I have passed my admiration for Paul McCartney has grown. Did you know that his son James recently put out a single with John Lennon's youngest son Sean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I might look that up. The volume of PM's work is astonishing, and the range. I like the musical inventiveness of RAM and enjoy the words too, even though they are silly in places.

      Delete
  5. I was a fan of the whimsical song "Uncle Albert" but I don't think I ever heard the rest of the album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of it is whimsical. It shows how music does not always have to be deeply philosophical about what is wrong with the world and our relationships.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the listen and what a charming video, rather like a family movie from that era. Paul did alright for himself in the domestic realm as well as long term music career. I loved the classic Beatles. After that ended, I stopped listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the video matches the record: cheerful.

      Delete
  7. Nice tune. I liked it when the tempo increased in the 2nd half at 3:27 .... but it's quite catchy song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PM always had a good ear for melody. This song is full of surprises.

      Delete
  8. Uncle Albert is one of my favorite songs. Except I haven't thought of it or hummed it in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it is one of those songs that sticks in your head all day. I don't mind, though.

      Delete
  9. I never saw the video before. It is sweet, isn't it? I cannot say it is better than Heavy Horses or Storm Watch though. How I love those albums. As strange as it sounds, I miss the innocence of those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those Tull L.P.s too. Ian Anderson could write brilliant lyrics and melodies as well, but he seemed to lose his sense of humour somewhere along the way.

      Delete
    2. Tasker, I have never heard an interview of him but when I saw him in concert, it impressed me that he could still play the flute while standing on one foot. Earlier in the week, I wore pantyhose for the first time in a couple years. I nearly killed myself getting them on. Although I am much younger than he is, turns out that I cannot hop around on one leg any more.

      Delete
    3. But can you still play the flute?

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. It's fun. What an enviable time he was having.

      Delete
  11. I don't think I've ever heard the full album, though I know "Admiral Halsey." In fact hearing it on the radio is one of my earliest musical memories, along with "Sweet Caroline" and "American Pie." (I always thought that line was "had to have a bath" -- ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We occasionally have "Uncle Albert" days when "we haven't done a bloody single thing all day".

      Delete
  12. Joyful. I won't hear a word said against Macca. Loved the sight of him and Linda riding free on the horses. I think it is impressive that he has remained so unspoilt in spite of all the fame and attention that he has received over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially after the tragedy of losing Linda and that awful marriage to HM. Ram is joyful. I think some of those who don't like it want their music full of gloom.

      Delete

I welcome comments and hope to respond within a day or two, but vision issues are making this increasingly difficult. Please note: comments on posts over a month old will not appear until they have been moderated.